We got 21 out of 32, I think. We also have a potential loss of at least 5 picks in the next round.
Best Lady found a big screw up! I have Wanda vs Ferris with Young Frankenstein winning. Duh. I emailed Jeff and I hope he will let me change it. If so, I will post a new version of the brackets.
The Lord and Lady Strathconn made their guesses for March Movie Madness 2008. I hope to do better this year than last year.
- Hire someone to repaint the outside of my house and fix the shingles.
- Finish doing over all the rooms in our house.
- Buy new cars. A Ford Escape Hybrid either in Vista Blue or Kiwi Green for me.
- Buy a new car for my sister and each of our parents.
- Buy the most high-end Macbook available.
- Give a large donation to my church.
- Give a large donation to my college.
- Buy a theater curtain set for the high school auditorium.
- Pay for a really nice wedding for my sister.
- Get braces on my bottom teeth.
- Make a scholarship for Star Island in honor of my old friend Sarah.
- Make a scholarship for a girl, from our high school, going to a women’s college in honor of same friend Sarah.
- Hire a personal trainer and a nutritionist.
- Fix the steeple on our church.
- Buy a new house.
- Buy a house for my sister.
- Hire a personal masseuse.
- Have a chef (to work with my nutritionist) and housekeeper.
- Completely rebuild the outdoor stage at the park.
- Do over the computer lab at my school.
- Make Girls on the Run free for girls in WSESU.
- Endow a really nice birthing room at the hospital.
- Pay off my parents’ house and apartments.
- Rehab the entire downstairs and Sunday School wing at church.
- Help Star Island with the electrical and fire improvements.
- Locate the two “Little Sisters” I had at Tye River and send them to college.
- Buy a radio station and hire John Ashley to play nothing but oldies and do contests.
- Boob job (smaller and higher).
- Buy a house on a loch in Scotland.
- Open a yarn shop.
- Buy a new building for the Drop in Center.
- Rehab and add onto the Morningside Shelter.
- Rehab and add onto the Women’s Crisis center.
- Repaint the Grange and get new lights and curtains.
- Help out the Nursery Schools and Childcare centers in our area.
- Give money to my town to fix up the town offices.
- Retire and travel the world.
Kerflop is running an essay contest to win JOYS materials. I really need to get our paperwork and finances in order. Kerflop and OMSH both gush about these products and I hope with a push, I can see results. Our entry must be an essay about what brings us joy.
A lot of things bring me joy. I am lucky to have lived a good life. I have wonderful people around me (blood family and chosen family), a nice home (albeit messy), and a good job (that I love).
My husband brings me joy. I have known my husband since high school, but I didn’t know I loved him till we were adults. He has been through a lot with me and supported me through physical and emotional struggles. Every day he comes home from work and asks me how my day went. Even if I spent all day at home on my computer. He kisses me goodbye before he leaves for work. Even if I am still asleep. He brings me flowers for our anniversary (because we decided Valentine’s Day is too expensive). Even if we are leaving for vacation. He says he loves me all the time. Even when I am mean, angry, cranky, dirty or annoying. He is my joy.
My home brings me joy. We bought this house exactly 2 months before we got married. It is small (two bedrooms and a living/diningroom) but it is ours (and the bank’s). We have been adding a bathroom to the second floor for 5 years, but we are nearly done and it is wonderful. We have a pond with fish and a beautiful flower garden. My friends feel at home in our house. It maybe messy and really eclectic, but it is comfortable and clean. I feel joy in my home.
My job brings me joy. I have been teaching at Smalltown Elementary School for 9 years. In that time I have taught over 400 kids. I’ve had 9 Literacy groups over 3 grades and hundreds of Technology classes. I’ve worked with over 50 professionals. I have purchased, updated and fixed over 100 computers. I have supervised countless recesses. And I have loved nearly every minute of it (can’t love those 20 degree February recesses). Every time a student figures something out in the computer lab or makes a breakthrough in Literacy. Each time they say “Wow, that’s cool” or “I get it now!” that brings me joy. I find joy in my work.
Being creative brings me joy. I have many creative outlets in my life. I have recently taken up knitting and love making things for other people. The feeling of the yarn and needles in my hands is very relaxing. Watching something grow out of my hands is amazing. I have been working with clay since I was 7. Building things with the earthy brown clay is like therapy. I don’t even have to accomplish anything to feel like I have had a good night. When I give something I have created to someone else, I feel better than if I kept it for myself. I’ve been doing theater for over 15 years. After over 40 shows in high school and community theater I still learn things with every production. No one comes to applaud for me, the stage manager, but if it weren’t for me the show would not be as successful. I create joy.
My spirit’s home brings me joy. Star Island has been my spirit’s home since I was 14. I knew the minute I set foot on the pier I felt right. From the Summerhouse to East Rock I feel comfortable and happy every where I am. I grow spiritually each time I go to Star and the years I was away I missed it everyday. When I return from the island each year I feel like a new year has begun and I refreshed and renewed. Joy is being on Star Island.
I am very lucky to have so many things in my life that bring me joy.
Edit: Jessica also suggested we could include photos, I wasn’t sure I would have time before the midnight deadline. Here is a little of what my filing system looks like right now.